Tuesday, December 31, 2013

December Wrap-Up

So, um. I think I need to come up with some new goals that aren't food-related. Luckily I've got a few ideas for New Year's Resolutions that I'll be sharing tomorrow. And none of them only one of them involves food.

Food Challenge: Sample Every Flavor of Bluebell Ice Cream
We tried Spiced Pumpkin Pecan at the beginning of the month, which officially means I've tried all the holiday flavors! (I didn't mention it, but I tried Peppermint and Christmas Cookies in previous years, Before Challenge.) I don't normally like pumpkin-flavored things all that much, but both Matt and I enjoyed this flavor.

We also tried Chocolate Chip (which was surprisingly hard to find until now!), and I really liked it. It's exactly like Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough, but without the cookie dough bits. I'll forgive it for that.

Completed: 56 out of 70 flavors

New! Food Challenge: Cook All The Way Through a Cookbook
This is one of those things that I added to my Life List last year, and then promptly did nothing about, except that I picked the cookbook I wanted to use: the Bride and Groom First and Forever Cookbook. Everything I have made from it since I got it has been pretty much amazing.

But I wasn't real serious about completing the goal, and I thought I had to put it on hold when I went vegetarian. But then I realized that there will still be times when we have company over or whatever, and I'll want to make a meat dish for other people, so I'm starting with the veg-friendly recipes, and I'll just do the meat recipes as they come up and deal with it. Technically I started keeping track of these last month, but I didn't want ALL of my challenges to be about food, so it got bumped a month.

Last month, I made my own veggie broth for the first time. And promptly spilled a bunch of it all over the counter. I also made pesto (YUM) and the world's ugliest torta.

I am the best food photographer ever.

Completed: 31 of 150 (I had made several of the recipes before I officially started keeping track. Like these latkes, and those pan-fried pork chops I couldn't stop raving about.)

Other Adventures
I completed my vegetarian challenge, and also my Bible challenge! I shared my favorite Christmas decorations, my favorite winter skincare products and my favorite books for 2013. I asked how blogs affect your self-esteem, and talked about what makes me feel authentic. I went to a museum, where they told me that museums are a threat to sustainability. I encouraged you to do some good when you shop online. And I told you my biggest work goal for 2014.

How was your December?

3 comments

  1. I love your terrible looking torta, probably because that's how my food always ends up looking too! Hopefully it tasted wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, it was quite delicious, even though it doesn't look like it should! :)

      Delete
  2. Cooking all the way through a cook book is a wonderful idea - great way to learn new recipes and make sure you're not eating the same thing every.single.night (i'm guilty of this!)

    ReplyDelete