Monday, August 15, 2011

Latkes

I do my meal planning on Saturday afternoons, and then Matt and I go grocery shopping together sometime over the weekend. Last weekend, he was out of town so I went by myself. When he got home, I announced, "This week, I am making the food of my people."

Matt laughed at me. "The food of your people?"

Okay, so I know I'm sort of technically Jewish only by heritage, but I'm proud of that heritage. I enjoy celebrating it when I can, even though I identify as a Christian by faith. So when I was flipping through the Bride and Groom First and Forever Cookbook we got as a wedding gift and saw a recipe for latkes, I was all over it.

Want the recipe? Click the image to make it bigger.

I followed the recipe exactly, except that I don't have a food processor that shreds, so I just used a large hand-grater on the potatoes and onion.

I normally don't like frying food, but for potato pancakes I'll make an exception. :)


They turned out fantastic. Exactly as I remembered them. Matt had never tried latkes before, but I get the feeling he liked them. He only ate about 10 of them. :)


Have you ever tried latkes? What ethnic foods do you like?

8 comments

  1. I don't have any Jewish heritage but since I was about 12 I've had this fascination with all things Jewish. There's such a sense of community!

    I need to try making latkes, we tried to have some at Kenny & Zukes in Portland, but we got there late in the day and they were out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look good! I might be adding that to my recipes to try list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never had latkes but always wanted to try - I love potatoes, they are right up there with cheese in my book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Stephanie - they weren't that difficult to make either, they just took a little while since you can't fry too many of them at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore latkes! :) I had a sorority sister who would always bring extra from Passover back to the house from her Dad... he was an AMAZING cook.
    And my grandmother, while not one bit Jewish, made them often as well! I opt for the Trader Joe's ones with applesauce when I have evenings to myself!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those look tasty! I've never had them, but I'm intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have that book! I stole the mushroom sauce off of a recipe for stuffed chicken and put it over rice - it is one of our favorites. Going to have to try those latkes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @HWB, that sounds delicious! So far I've been really impressed with this cookbook!

    ReplyDelete