Tuesday, August 20, 2013

My Grandpa is a Biker

Er ... a bicyclist. Matt tells me they're not the same thing.

My Grandpa is turning 80 this year, but he looks and acts like a man twenty years younger.

A few years ago, he and my Grandma moved into a retirement community — the type where everyone has their own houses but the community provides entertainment and various types of clubs and things for retired people to do. And sometime soon after they moved there, my Grandpa got involved with a group of gentlemen that bicycle from city to city several times a week. So he got a bike. The bike wouldn't fit in their car, so they got a bigger car. And then last fall, he crashed the bike. So he got a new 21-speed bike. And then he decided to get a road bike, and that he didn't need his "old" one anymore.

So he gave the "old" but barely used bike to me. I had been wanting a bicycle since my birthday last year. And now that I have a gas-guzzling truck, I'd rather bike to places that are nearby than drive. It's too hot to do much biking right now — we've got expected highs in the upper 90s this week — but I expect when the weather cools down a bit, it will be perfect riding weather.

When we received the bike, it didn't have any of its parts attached, like reflectors or a kickstand. "Those slow you down!" Grandpa said. Instead, he gave me a Wal-Mart bag filled with various bicycling accoutrements, which Matt re-attached fairly easily. So now I have a working kickstand, and a blinky light so people hopefully won't run me over. Always important. In addition, Matt had an old bike chain at his parents' house that no one was using, and I found this not-too-dorky-looking helmet at Target. (I tried to pick a pretty one. Even my sister said it didn't look too bad.)

Bell Athena, via Target

The other day, we had an unusually cool evening — in the 80s! — so I decided I should maybe figure out how to ride a bike again. Because I think the last time I rode a bike might have been the fifth grade, because it was that year that I crashed my bike on my neighbor's gravel driveway and bashed myself all up. I still have specks of gravel in my chin from that incident.

So with Matt worrying that I was going to crash or get hit by cars, I took the bike out and rode the mile loop around the neighborhood that we normally take when we go for walks. And I have to admit, it was kind of scary. I was afraid to go too fast, and I was afraid of falling over when I turned corners. I wobbled a lot. I found it hard to go in straight lines. But I imagine it'll get easier as I keep going.


When was the last time you rode a bike? Do you share any hobbies with your grandparents?

9 comments

  1. Cute helmet! I've been riding my bike to work about 3x/week this summer and I love it! It's the most fun kind of exercise for me, and I love how I can just get inside my own head and think about things while I ride. It's like the only thing I do that I can't use my phone during (though I have tried).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! When I took my ride I was afraid of letting go of the handlebars for even a second!

      Delete
  2. I rode a bike my senior year of college, and I was ok with it, but I didn't go very far. E and I tried to go on a 7-mile ride the year after that, but I hated it because I was scared, and I guess my bike seat was breaking during the ride. He replaced my seat, but I have yet to go on a ride, and I'm pretty sure my bike is all rusted over now after such a long hiatus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is awesome, and so cool about your grandfather! I used to go for bike rides with my dad all through high school and college, but it's been a long time since I've been on a bike. When my boys are a bit older, I want to get one and take family rides. I'll have to get used to wearing a helmet (I never wore one growing up) and I have this ridiculous fear that my behind looks huge. Of course, riding a bike will help with that. :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the same helmet in all black! I wish I could've found one in this pattern!
    The Husband and I bought fancy new bikes this past May. It was the best idea ever! I love riding around the neighborhood. I even got a rack on the back & a basket that attaches to it so I can ride to the farmer's market and load up on veggies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A basket! That's a good idea. I was just thinking the other day that if I plan on riding to the grocery store, I had no way of getting all my bags home...

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. (Sorry about the previous post! I'm still transitioning a bit from my old blog :). I forgot which account to log in as. Ha!)

      Just so you know, the guys at the bike shop told me for any bike that's not a cruiser (I have a hybrid road bike), all baskets should be mounted on the back of the bike because otherwise it messes with your steering.

      You need a rack to mount it on, but this is the one I got: http://www.amazon.com/Topeak-MTX-Rear-Bicycle-Basket/dp/B000FI6WXQ/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1377100028&sr=8-8&keywords=rear+bike+basket . I love it. It seems like most rear baskets are mounted to the rack, but I pick this one because it slides on and off (and clicks in so there's no chance of it falling) so I could take it off whenever I wanted to. When I'm just riding around for fun, I typically leave it at home.

      Delete
  5. I haven't been on a bike in years, but I think I'd like to get one now that we are moving farther away from public transportation. Drivers around here are crazy though.

    ReplyDelete