Thursday, August 1, 2013

Floating

I have a hard time shutting my brain off and relaxing. I'm always multi-tasking, whether it's reading three books at a time, or playing Candy Crush while watching Burn Notice, or playing with Elliott while trying to type at the same time. Heck, even when I'm asleep I'm still mulling things over (which makes me very tired the next day, but I haven't figured out how to make it stop). So when I find myself in a situation where I have no choice but to pay attention to the task at hand, it forces me to relax a little. (Always a good thing!)

Which is what happened when we visited my in-laws in Austin last weekend. My sister-in-law suggested we all float the river in San Marcos, and I was psyched because despite hearing awesome stories, I'd never done any river floats before. You get your inner tube, toss it into the river and sit. Maybe you sip on a beer or two. The water is cold and you are guaranteed to get wet, but it's Texas and it's hot outside, so the water feels nice. You leave everything but your cooler in the car. No multi-tasking allowed, except maybe working on your tan. (Not me: I was wearing SPF 70 because I refuse to get burned, and I left the river the same shade of pale I was when I got in.) It was the perfect way to spend a hot summer Saturday.


Anybody else have a hard time relaxing? Have you done a river float?

4 comments

  1. That sounds like a blast! I've lived in Austin my entire life and have never gone to float the river...I need to fix that soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! My SIL said you can float the one in San Marcos or the Comal (by Schlitterbahn), but that the one in San Marcos is less crowded and cheaper.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you enjoyed it! Agreed that it's nice to turn the brain off for a few hours. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We haven't gone this year, but the last few we've done several river floats near our home. It is really nice to unplug and just sit around and spend some quality time with friends and family! I'm like you - I have to force myself away from distractions!

    ReplyDelete