Friday, September 21, 2012

Weekend Traveling: Your Take

How far would you/have you driven for a weekend trip?

I'm not talking an extended weekend. I'm talking get-off-work-on-Friday, be-back-at-8-a.m.-Monday type of weekends.

I've been thinking about this lately. There are so many places I would like to go and see, but Texas is a big state and it takes a long time to get out of it. So any place outside the state requires like, a minimum of four hours of driving. Maybe more like eight hours if you're headin' west.

Obviously, when I was in college I thought nothing of driving from central Oklahoma to College Station every few months to visit Matt. That was a six-hour drive. But I know not all six-hour trips seem to go so fast (when I was going to visit) or so slow (as I was driving home).

Matt doesn't get any more time off work until he's done with his Ph.D., so any trips we take will pretty much have to be between Friday night and Sunday night. And I just don't know how many hours of being in a car is worth it to see something new when you'll only be able to stay for less than 24 hours.

What do you think?

(I ask because I'm trying to justify an eight-hour trip. One that I already know is maybe too much for just two days.)

2 comments

  1. I think that weekend trips in Texas (other than places in Texas) is a little hard to make in 48 hours or so. Like you said, the state is just so big.

    For actual weekend trips we normally keep it to visiting friends in Houston, Austin or hanging out in San Antonio. We tend to take an extra Friday or Monday (or both) off if we're heading to other states in order to be able to relax and enjoy in between the hours of driving there and back.

    I'm not saying you can't pack it in with an 8 hour drive. In college I made two weekend trips from College Station to Lubbock (for football games) and we had a blast even with the 7 or so hours of driving each way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's kind of what I figured. I might have to plan some smaller in-state road trips for this year and next year until we can get some better vacay time! I saw a billboard on the way up to Dallas on Friday for a Texas Kolache Trail, and I totally want to do that. :)

      Delete