Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Less Things For Cats to Break

When I lived in my first apartment, I lived with a roommate and her cat, Mr. Darcy. Mr. Darcy was a very sweet kitty, and he liked to look out the windows. When we moved out of that apartment, most of the blinds in my room (and probably hers too) were broken from where he had climbed through them to look out the window. Like a bad tenant, I raised the blinds up as high as they would go so you couldn't see the damage, and prayed the landlord wouldn't lower them and notice.


Elliott also likes to look out the window. Let's just say, the blinds in both our downstairs bathroom and living room had seen better days.


I guess Matt got tired of looking at the mangled miniblinds, because a few weekends ago he decided it was time to replace all the thin metal ones in our house with sturdy faux-wood blinds. He took down all the curtains and removed the old blinds and installed new ones. It didn't take very long.


Elliott saw the opportunity to help. I also offered, but Matt assured me this was a one-man (and one-cat) job.


They're super sturdy now. Much more cat-proof! And much nicer-looking to boot. :)

It's hard to take pictures of windows.

Does your significant other take on aesthetic home-decor projects or stick to functional ones? Do your pets break things?

9 comments

  1. I want to put up blinds in our rental house. Where did you find yours if you don't mind sharing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We went to Home Depot and bought a few boxes of the thick "wood-grain" laminate blinds — they're pretty sturdy and the salespeople can cut them down to size in-store for free.

      Delete
    2. Awesome, thanks! I think I'll take a trip to Home Depot. :)

      Delete
  2. HA! My dog would do the same thing in my first apartment and definitely broke off a couple of blinds. In our second place I got smart and left the blinds up high enough for her to get onto the sill and look out without messing with the blinds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great! I love the faux wood grain blinds! That's what we have in our house - of course, we have a few we need to replace because our dogs have still managed to destroy 'em!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, don't tell us that! So far Elliott has had a really hard time trying to climb through them, so she hasn't tried more than once or twice.

      Delete
  4. Those look great!! Def an improvement over the flimsy blinds (I'm staring at the ones in our apartment right now, ha!) Also, mad props to Matt for his home improvement skills!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look so great!

    And yeah, at our 2nd to last rental our cats did the same time. And I totally raised the blinds all the way to hide the damage from the landlord!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is it bad that my blinds looked like that for years in my old place and I don't even have a cat to do the damage? lol

    ReplyDelete