Friday, August 10, 2012

Life List Addition: Random Acts of Kindness

I've decided to add a new goal to my Life List. One year, for my birthday, I would like to do a random act of kindness for every year I've been alive.

I found the idea on Pinterest here, as well as here.

I used to be better about doing community service, and I like the idea of bringing joy to other people's days, especially on a day that's traditionally devoted to your own happiness.

Things I think I would like to include:
• Pay for a stranger's lunch at a restaurant or in a drive-thru line.
• Hide dollar bills inside books at a book store.
• Deliver bottled water to outdoor workers.
• Make cookies for our local firemen.
• Deliver treats for the staff of both local libraries.

Obviously that is not nearly enough to meet my quota. :) Luckily I have (at least) a year to come up with more ideas!

What random acts of kindness would you include?

6 comments

  1. What a great idea - I love it! Corey and I have always wanted to randomly give a 100% tip at a restaurant (obviously probably a relatively cheap one!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is a great idea! I read about a guy that did something like this for his birthday (I think he was giving out money to drivers that passed by). I really want to do the first think on your list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The church we used to go to in Houston used to put together "grace bags" that included bottled water, a variety of snacks that didn't need refrigeration, and a list of local resources for the homeless. They would give them away at services for a $5 suggested donation, and I would say I've probably given out 10 or so since they started. I've been thinking about putting together my own since I don't have access to them anymore - the people I've talked to never expect it and are always very grateful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's really sweet! I've thought about doing something like this before and never have.

      Delete
  4. I had a random customer at work give me a Spoons card that was full, so Travis and I got free yogurt! It would be easy for you to do something like that, since so many businesses here have punchcards. :)

    ReplyDelete