Thursday, July 5, 2012

Reading the Classics

I had this bad habit in high school. Every time we were assigned a book to read, I would read most of the book, and then quit with about 100 pages left to go. I was in the "Gifted and Talented" English program, which was code for "You Get the Same Credits as the AP Kids While Writing Far Fewer Papers."* I'm pretty sure I didn't finish upwards of 75% of the books we were assigned.

The only exceptions were:
1) "To Kill A Mockingbird" by Harper Lee, which was too good of a book to not read the whole way through.
2) "Of Mice and Men" by John Steinbeck, which was too short to not get all the way through.
3) "Frankenstein" by Mary Shelley. I hated this book. At the time it was assigned as summer reading, I was learning to drive. I would drive my mom to community college, and I wouldn't bring anything but this book to entertain me for the hour or so she'd be in class. I would get a Pibb Xtra from the vending machine to keep myself awake, then sit in the hallway and force myself to read it.

I don't remember if I ever finished "The Great Gatsby." I remember that I liked F. Scott Fitzgerald based on a poem we read in class, but I didn't remember this book at all. So when my book club decided to read it, I figured it would be good to try it again, especially since maybe some of the books we were supposed to read in high school maybe weren't as boring as I remembered them. (Except "Great Expectations." I'm never giving that one another chance.)


It was pretty good, and I'm glad I gave it another chance! A friend of mine asked me what I thought of Jay Gatsby, as some people really like him as a character, and others really detest him by the end. I mainly just felt sad for him; he tried so hard to be a social butterfly and make others happy, only to wind up alone in every sense of the word.

What "classics" did you like — or hate — in high school?

*I actually did really enjoy the classes, and I always had fantastic teachers, but I'm not going to pretend they were hard by any means.

9 comments

  1. I pretty much never read the full book, honestly, and I was top of my class in English. I skimmed and used Cliffs Notes and was really good at writing essays! :P

    I mainly hated the stuff that was repeated from class to class -- we had to read Lord of the Flies in English and in Civic Literacy, and watch the movie, twice. The worst was when I took a first-year English course in university and had to re-read A Doll's House, which I utterly hated in my Grade 12 English class...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why I didn't finish Lord of the Flies. I've always liked dystopian style novels, but that was another that went by the wayside, and I only knew how it ended because we also had to watch the movie in class!

      Delete
  2. I loved To Kill a Mockingbird, The Great Gatsby, and Heart of Darkness (mainly after our class discussed it)...hated the Scarlet Letter, Huck Finn, and Wuthering Heights. I read Wuthering Heights again this past year to give it another chance, but it could not be redeemed for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, I forgot about The Scarlet Letter. Didn't like that one either. I didn't have to read Heart of Darkness or Wuthering Heights, though some of the other English classes did!

      Delete
    2. Oof, Heart of Darkness = NOT my favorite :)

      Delete
  3. I really despised Pride and Prejudice, which I feel like is a major offense to a lot of people!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES. OMG I thought I was the only one who couldn't stand it. I've tried reading the book, watching the miniseries, watching the movie ... and I just don't like any of them.

      Delete
  4. I remember hating The Great Gatsby in high school. Really the only thing I remember about it is how the pool is supposed to represent rebirth. But as though I wasn't a fan of the book I'm really excited for the movie even if part of that is because Leonardo DiCaprio is in it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorites from high school were Fahrenheit 451 and Brave New World. I also LOVED A Tale of Two Cities. I wasn't a Great Gatsby fan, though!

    ReplyDelete