Friday, June 22, 2012

Grown-Up Veggies

I swear, last week Matt told me he liked brussels sprouts. He has no recollection of this conversation ever happening, but it's too late, I already went to the Farm Patch and got some fresh ones.


I hadn't eaten brussels sprouts in at least 15 years. Since my parents weren't really cooks, I only ever tried frozen sprouts, which were always in a weird sauce and kind of terrible. But hey, tastes change over time. I didn't like eggs when I was a kid, and look at me now! (Well, you can't see me ... but I do enjoy eggs for the most part. Especially if they're deviled and sprinkled with paprika.)

The unfortunate thing about eating a lot of frozen veggies as a kid — who are we kidding, as an adult too — is that I am kind of clueless as to what to do with fresh veggies beyond steaming them. I thought about roasting the tiny cabbages, except that I don't actually know how to do that. So I threw them in the Crock Pot instead.


I served them with pork chops (and let's be honest, I only thought to pair brussels sprouts with pork chops because there was a picture of sprouts with them at the bottom of the recipe).


Aaaaand the verdict is ...

Not bad! Brussels sprouts are not going to go down in history as my favorite vegetable of all time or anything, but they were fine. Matt agreed with my assessment. The butter + Dijon sauce was good though, and I might use it on other veggies in the future.

Do you like brussels sprouts? Any foods you hated as a kid but love now?

4 comments

  1. I was not a fan of spinach when I was a kid. I think it has something to do with the fact that my brother loved popeye so our grandmother cooked spinach for us and I hated it! Now, I love spinach salads and in smoothies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Popeye, but hated spinach too! Luckily I like it way more now, though I still prefer lettuce over spinach!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hated green beans as a kid- but love them now!

    And try roasting brussel sprouts- just with a little olive oil, salt and pepper. That's how I love them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, my mom used to mash up green beans and cook them into pancakes to get my sister and I to eat them!

      Delete