Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Life List: This Here's A Plumcot

One of the items on my Life List is to try 10 foods I've never had before. I'm SO CLOSE to completing it! This weekend, I was at the grocery store, when I saw a big bin of plumcots. Apparently they are an apricot/plum hybrid.

I like plums. I like apricots. I bought one.


It looks like a plum, except that it's got a more orange-y brown skin. It also has a blood-red interior when you cut it open.


It tastes like a plum too, except that the middle is less getcha-in-the-gills sour.

Plumcot, I am disappointed that you are pretty much just a plum.

Do you like trying new foods? Have you tried plumcots?

6 comments

  1. I like these! The ones I get are more reddish in color though, and my market calls them plu-ots :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of plumcots, but as someone who loves both plum and apricots I need to go seek these out!

    To answer your question, I'm not a big fan of trying new foods. And my (Chinese) husband always teases me that I have a "white tongue" because I refuse to eat any new types of meat aside from beef, pork, chicken, and your run-of-the-mill seafood. He is always trying to sneak in pieces of chicken feet, frog legs, and various other "exotic" meats into my food!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never heard of these but I'm interested now. Stinks that it was more of a plum then a hybrid

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are those the same as pluots? It sounds like they should be.

    I'm always surprised when people think plums are sour, because I grew up with a plum tree in our garden, and we didn't eat the plums until they'd fall of the tree in your had when you went to pick them, and they were some of the sweetest things I've ever tasted.

    Then again, those were a different strain of plums than most grocery stores sell - the ones you usually see are almost apple-sized and shiny. Our were smaller (like... two thumbs) and had a dull, dusty finish. Prune plums. Delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Geek in Heels - I've just recently gotten into trying weird stuff. Some of those sound ... interesting ... but I might be up for the challenge if they were well-cooked!
    @Heather - I think they are the same as pluots, at least that's the impression I get from BigAppleNosh's comment!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like Serena, my grocery store calls them Pluots and the exterior is more red, but the interior isn't as red. If that made any sense! Ha! However, I have them every morning as part of my breakfast! Yum!

    ReplyDelete