Thursday, July 21, 2011

Buy Low, Sell High

"Back then I thought that everything that rhymed was true. So if I worked in stocks I'd have to live in a box and only eat lox and have a pet fox." — Phoebe from Friends


Last year my parents asked me what I wanted for my birthday, and I said a retirement fund. Yes yes, I'm both boring and bad at being a grown up, and I haven't been earmarking money for the future, blah blah. What can I say, paying off my pesky student debt has been a slightly higher priority.

My dad was going to be in charge of managing this fund, since he intended to play the stock market and I don't even know where to start with such things. With my tiny newfound retirement fund, I got ... one share of Apple stock. Hooray!

Well, my birthday is rolling around again, and me and my one share of Apple stock got to thinking ... it would be really nice if we knew what we were doing. So I went to Half Price Books and got this:


I'm a huge fan of the "Dummies" books. They're really informative and don't make me feel stupid, despite their title. And frankly, I AM totally stupid when it comes to investing. I don't know the difference between NASDAQ and Dow Jones or how to read all those colorful line graphs or, really, anything. So I added "learn how to play the stock market" to my Life List.

Do you play the stock market? How did you learn?

1 comment

  1. Yay! I have stock in Apple too! Woo. Go us. Technology is down right now, but Apple's still thrivin'!

    I work at a bank, and spend a lot of time listening to the investment bankers trying to get me to invest "their way". We're investing in commodities, but we're so poor that we don't really have a lot of money to "play" with. Heh.

    ReplyDelete