Thursday, November 12, 2015

Summer in Texas, in Virginia

It used to be that every summer, Matt's family would all get together for a long weekend (or a long week) at Inks Lake in Burnet, Texas. It hasn't happened in several years, and that makes me kind of sad.

It was only a few short months after Matt and I started dating. We were sitting in a hammock together, heads on opposite ends, feet propped up. I was reading The Other Boleyn Girl for the first of many times. He was doing math puzzles.

I looked over at him, smiling. I thought, "If we're still doing this in 50 years, I will be happy."

Ten years have passed.

Matt wasn't having a very good day, as far as I could tell. My car was in the shop, so he had to come pick me up at work. He must have been tired, or at least deep in thought, because we didn't talk much. Work has been stressful for both of us lately. We let "the grind" grind us down, and we try to come up with ways to take the stress off each other.

I suggested we get Starbucks on the way home, a rare treat for us. By poor circumstance, we missed the entrance to the main Starbucks, and I suggested we go to the one in Target a few blocks up. Matt had the better idea, suggesting the 'Bux in Barnes and Noble. He won.

We browsed for a few minutes. He snagged a book of math and logic puzzles. I found the newest book in a series I'd loved that I had yet to read. And we got our drinks and sat across from each other at a little table in the café.

Matt got up to get a napkin, and then promptly did number problems all over it. I powered through the first 60 pages of my book.

I looked at him and smiled as he went for more napkins, having run out of room on the first.

Past Allie was so right.

I am so happy with this life.

No comments

Post a Comment