Monday, March 23, 2015

Sports Sports Sports

Every year during March Madness, Matt starts a family bracket pool, and the two of us plus his dad, his sister and our brother-in-law compete for the "Get Outta There" trophy that currently resides on my husband's dresser.


I spend exactly no time watching basketball unless Matt and I go to a game together (so … I've seen approximately five or six games in the past 10 years, and one of those was the Harlem Globetrotters). I know very few of the teams or who is any good, so I normally just pick whichever team I've heard of before for my bracket, and I always pick Oklahoma to go far (BOOMER).

(This worked out well for me one year, since none of our family had faith in OU and then the Sooners made it far and I was the only one who had picked them to win. But most of the time, I am in last or second-to-last place.)


Anyway, on Saturday morning Matt was checking up on the tournament scores, and as usual, told me I was losing by A LOT. What else is new.

Then he said, "Your tie-breaker score is awfully low for a basketball game too. You don't see many basketball games where the teams only get 30 points."

And I started laughing maniacally because — NO SHAME — I had forgotten, whilst filling out my bracket, that this was for a basketball tournament and had picked my tie-breaker score based on what a good football tie-breaker score might be.

Are you participating in any March Madness pools?

5 comments

  1. Katie @ A Beautiful Little AdvMarch 23, 2015 at 11:59 AM

    haha! I think we're on the same level with sports! When I hear "march madness" I only think of how crazy this month is with birthday celebrations for my family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL at your tiebreaker score! That's too funny.

    BTW - small correction: the trophy is actually for fantasy football, and Matt should technically no longer have it since our friend Jon who lives in Rome won it this year. But we do so many of these family pools that the confusion is understandable, and also, who wants to ship things to Rome anyway?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL. This is how much I pay attention to all the sports things!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The happiest of birthdays to everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha ha! I know nothing about sports, so I would do something similar. (I do know that basketball game points go much higher than football, but that's about it.)

    ReplyDelete