Friday, February 14, 2014

Inspired By: Prose

Obviously, I read a good amount. I read for fun. I read to escape. I read because there's nothing good on TV. I read because other people have done way cooler stuff than I have and I want to live vicariously. I read because other people have experienced heartbreak in ways that I never have and hopefully never will.

And lately, I find myself reading because I'm jealous.

It's just … almost everything I've read lately is just SO deliciously good. Not even necessarily in plot — though if the writing is good, it can make up for weaknesses in plot, in my opinion. I'm just amazed at the metaphors other people think to write in, and the prose that flows out of other people's pens. And I've started thinking about how I write, and whether these types of exotic sentences come natural to these amazing writers, or if they, like me, have to really work hard in order to create something that flows beautiful and poetic.

I know that I'm writing a blog and not the next great American novel or anything. I try to write this blog the way I would talk with you in real life. I'm not trying to make this space something it's not. But I can't help but be wistful at how beautiful some of these sentences are, and how unlike anything I could have written.


What has been inspiring you lately? What are some of your favorite book quotes?

8 comments

  1. I have lots of favorite poems, and there are two passages in books that jump out at me right now. Both are too long to write here, but one is a prayer/sermon from _River, Cross My Heart_ about an African-American girl who drowns in the Potomac River, since she isn't allowed to swim in her town's pool. That's the story's premise, so I'm not giving anything away. The pastor says a really beautiful prayer at her funeral, while he is trying to comfort everyone.

    And the second is a passage from _The Poisonwood Bible_ by Barbara Kingsolver, told from the mom's point of view. She talks about her last child, and I read it right after my last baby was born, so I found it so meaningful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read either of those! Though I've been wanting to read Poisonwood Bible for a while.

      Delete
  2. Such great sentences! thanks for sharing. I've been reading Anne of Green Gables lately because it just always brightens my day. I know its a little bit childish, but theres something about it! The first time I read it was last year- apparently, none of my teachers in elementary/middle school felt it necessary to show me this book! such a sin! I will definitely be coming back to this blog because its intellectually creative- and i appreciate that amongst a large amount of fashion and how-to blogs.

    rachel
    thegystofthings.blog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment, that is so sweet of you to say! I never read Anne of Green Gables as a kid either, and I'm just now going back and reading some of the books that most people read as children but I somehow missed.

      Delete
  3. Love these! Great quotes. Quotes like these always inspire me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know exactly the feeling you're talking about. I read things, and I'm amazed they could think of something so perfect or beautiful or whatever else. I even think that about other bloggers! Like, what they're saying is so awesome and inspiring, and I wish I could write like that. I think it's good to get inspiration, but of course it's always a balance to not change your own style too much either :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. "I read because there's nothing good on TV." so honest and truthful and lovely to hear someone say it :) favorite quote? let's see... one of them would be, “I feel like my life is so scattered right now. Like it's all the small pieces of paper and someone's turned on the fan. But, talking to you makes me feel like the fan's been turned off for a little bit. Like things could actually make sense. You completely unscatter me, and I appreciate that so much. ” (another john green)

    ReplyDelete