Monday, January 13, 2014

Look At All The Movies I Haven't Seen!

I know everyone and their mother is going to be recapping the Golden Globes today, letting the internet know which dresses they loved and which ones were just plain bad. But because other people can do that so much better than I can, instead I want to tell you what I was doing while the Golden Globes were on.

Matt and I really don't go to the movies all that often, which is a CRYING SHAME because in College Station, movies are only $4 a ticket. I managed to miss all the movies that were nominated for anything. So I spent the evening with my Netflix page open, adding movie after movie to my queue in the hopes that someday I'll get around to seeing all of them. Most of them were current nominations, but some were ones I missed wayyy before this year.


Annie Hall
When they did that tribute to Woody Allen for having like a billion (okay 74) movies out in the last 40 years and he won whatever award that was, they showed a whole bunch of clips from a bunch of Woody Allen movies, and I realized that I have not seen a single one of them in my entire life. So Annie Hall had to go on the list, because it seems like that was one of the more iconic movies of his career. I also added Take the Money and Run, and Vicky Cristina Barcelona was already on there.


The Wolf of Wall Street
I also added this one to my reading list, because the previews were so compelling and books are always better than the movies based on them. But then I got a text message from my sister, and this was her review of the movie: "Well, it was three hours long for one. It never seemed to end. And there was a TON of drug use and vivid prostitution. It was good, just way too long. I think it's worth it if you're prepared to sit for three hours. But they really didn't hold back. They show like everything. [Matteo, Rachel's boyfriend] says it will be worth watching on Netflix. Or Redbox. Lol So you can pause and stuff."

Plus I found out via the Golden Globes that it boasts 500+ F-words in three hours. I'm kind of amazed they were able to string together a preview at all. But I still kind of want to see it.


Dallas Buyers Club
Both Matthew McConaughey and Jared Leto won awards for Dallas Buyers Club, and I really want to see it. I've heard amazing things about it. (I told Matt that Mr. All Right All Right All Right won, and he was like, "The guy from Fool's Gold??" Yes. The guy from Fool's Gold. Worst movie ever.) And while I normally don't like movies about illnesses that kill you, this seems like it comes from a different angle than the usual ones.


Honorable Mentions
I had not even heard of a LOT of the nominated movies last night, so for no particular reason other than they looked interesting, I also added Enough Said (which from the description actually sounds kind of cheesy Lifetime), American Hustle (duh, JLaw is my BFF), Frozen (HOW DID I MISS THIS MOVIE?), Her (a unique movie idea in Hollywood?! It's a miracle!) and Labor Day (which I didn't realize was even nominated until like an hour in, but they played the preview about 6000 times during the broadcast). Obviously, Behind the Candelabra was already on the list, because ... um. I don't have a good reason. Sequins?

Have you seen any of the movies that were nominated? How often do you go to the movies?

(all images from IMDB)

13 comments

  1. I didn't watch the awards last night, but I bet if I had, I would be the same way as you! Out of all of the movies you listed, I have only seen Frozen! I mean, it was awesome so that counts for something right?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We should have linked up today, because my post is so similar! I loved American Hustle and really want to see Dallas Buyer's Club. I did not like Frozen at all and was counting the minutes until I could leave. I think Tinker Bell's Secret of the Wings on Netflix is really, really similar (like I think they borrowed some elements from it) and is streaming right now. The Oscars is my show and that's the one I get excited to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's okay, I didn't know I was going to be posting about this until like, 9:15 this morning! Bummer that you didn't like Frozen!

      Delete
  3. I haven't seen any of these movies, but I have heard so much about them, I feel like I have. We usually wait for Netflix because movies here are are expensive and a logistical nightmare (no parking, etc.).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Legit reasons to not go to the theater. Not being able to park would be a nightmare.

      Delete
  4. I love movies and awards season, but I am admittedly behind this year. I know I have to go see 12 Years a Slave, Her, August: Osage County, Enough Said and Dallas Buyers Club before the Oscars. I hope I can make it!

    Also, please add "Midnight in Paris" to your Woody Allen list. It's so good! And Alison Pill plays a GREAT Zelda Fitzgerald.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Added! Let me know what you think of August: Osage County. The previews didn't really compel me to watch it, but I do love Meryl.

      Delete
  5. I was totally out of the movie loop this year . . . I didn't see any of the films nominated last night, save "American Hustle" (which I found mildly interesting, honestly, but not worthy of all the hype surrounding it). I definitely want to see "Her"! In fact, I might make that my mission this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm in the same boat with this year's crop of nominees: I've only seen American Hustle, and I was really underwhelmed, honestly. I'd love to see the Dallas Buyers Club and Her, though! Also: Woody Allen is not my cup of tea, but I'll make an exception for Vicky Cristina Barcelona and Match Point--both are excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i honestly haven't seen any of these films -- guess we can start seeing them together :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have definitely not seen any of these movies! I'm such a chick-flick person, which means the movies I like don't usually win awards haha.

    ReplyDelete