Monday, February 11, 2013

Proof That Occasionally I'm Creative Without Pinterest's Help

My mom and I both suffer from it's-aftenoon-and-your-makeup-is-gone-and-your-face-is-greasy-itis. She has always bought those oil-blotting sheets from Clean and Clear or Neutrogena, which are like, $5 per pack of 25 or 50 sheets (which is RIDICULOUS). Occasionally she'd give me a pack of them, but being cheapity cheap I don't think I've ever gone out and bought my own when I run out. I just reapply powder, or dab my face with a Kleenex, which isn't really effective but whatever.

A few weeks ago, I had this brilliant idea. I was almost out of tissue paper for wrapping a wedding gift, and bemoaning the fact that I had to buy more, when it hit me: Isn't tissue paper basically the same as blotting paper?

I had to try it out. I took a sheet of plain white tissue paper and cut it up into little rectangles that are about the same size as the expensive blotters, and gave it a test run. I did very thorough research (aka I blotted my face when it felt like it needed it over the course of about two weeks).


And what do you know, it works! I'm not going to show you a picture of my face grease, because that's super awkward. But I promise it works exactly the same as like, rice paper blotters or those thin paper ones Proactiv sells. I am super proud of myself.

You can get an entire thing of white tissue paper at Target for under $2. And I imagine that if you cut up an entire pack of tissue paper, you could probably get about eleventy jillion blotting papers out of it, which is probably way more than anyone could ever need. Significantly cheaper!

Do you use blotting paper? Any other creative uses for tissue paper? And does Pinterest ever make anyone else feel totally inadequate?

6 comments

  1. This sounds kind of weird, but I use the toilet seat covers in bathrooms-- they work great and are free (if you're in a public bathroom!) I just pull one out and use a little bit of the bottom part that hasn't been exposed to the world yet. Probably if you wanted to carry them around you could take a couple and cut them up like you did here

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great! I used to love those blotting papers, but like you, would NEVER pay for them. I used Starbucks napkins for a long long time because those seemed to work the best for me.
    Pinterest is a good start for some ideas if you're stuck, but I agree with you. most of the time it just makes me feel a little bit crappy?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you use an all-over makeup primer? That makes a huge difference in my makeup staying power!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, I've never tried one. I'm always a little hesitant about full-coverage stuff, since my skin breaks out easily. Have you had any problems with breaking out when you use it?

      Delete
  4. Haha, love this! I second the makeup primer suggestion...it makes a huge difference!

    ReplyDelete